turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a HSA through my employer and my husband is on it. Do I have to check both boxes that we have it or just me bc it’s with my employer my husband is added as a spouse

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

I have a HSA through my employer and my husband is on it. Do I have to check both boxes that we have it or just me bc it’s with my employer my husband is added as a spouse

If your husband is covered under your HDHP, then you have a family plan HSA. The HSA is owned individually by you, but because you have a family plan, you can pay for medical expenses for the both of you.

On the page, Were you enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2019?  Answer yes, if you were the account owner, then select Me and my family if your husband is covered by your HDHP. 

Enter Form 1099-SA in TurboTax. The form will list the total distributions from the account.  It doesn't matter who the expenses where for under a family plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

An HSA is like an IRA.  It is only ever owned by one person, although you might have two-person or family insurance that qualifies you to contribute to the account. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies