turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a County Tax on my Car Registration Tax Receipt (in addition to the Property Tax). Can you deduct this?

I live in South Carolina that has a County Tax as well as a Property Tax on the Car Registration.  I know I can deduct the Property Tax but is the County Tax also deductible and if so, where do you enter it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a County Tax on my Car Registration Tax Receipt (in addition to the Property Tax). Can you deduct this?

The car registration fee for South Carolina is deductible on a federal tax return since it is based on the value of the vehicle.

To enter, edit or delete Car Registration Fees -

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Car Registration Fees, click the start or update button

Or enter car tags in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to car tags

Or -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Topic Search

Enter car tags.  On the highlighted result click on GO.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The car registration fee for South Carolina is deductible on a federal tax return since it is based on the value of the vehicle.

To enter, edit or delete Car Registration Fees -

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Car Registration Fees, click the start or update button

Or enter car tags in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to car tags

Or -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Topic Search

Enter car tags.  On the highlighted result click on GO.

If the county tax is based on the value of the vehicle then it is deductible.  If the tax is based on some other criteria than the value then it is not deductible.

Thank you.   It appears to be a standard tax fee so you have answered my question.  Only the Property Tax is Deductible.  

Thank you

You're welcome...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies