turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 2 children qualifying for the child tax credit in the Info portion of turbo tax but it only shows the one under the Tax Break section? Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have 2 children qualifying for the child tax credit in the Info portion of turbo tax but it only shows the one under the Tax Break section? Why?

Look at your Form 1040  and see if both children are shown as dependents near the top of the form.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Then look farther down on the form at the child-related credits.

Look at your 2019 Form 1040 to see the child-child-related credits you received

Child Tax Credit line 13a

Credit for Other Dependents line 13a

Earned Income Credit line 18a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 18b

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 18d

What credit do you think you are not getting?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
RobertG
Expert Alumni

There are a number of requirements to qualify for the Child Tax Credit.  You need to be sure that all information about the child was input correctly.  One way to do this is to delete the child in TurboTax and go back and re-input the information on the dependent screens.

Remember: 

To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, your child must fit all of these requirements:

• Be under age 17 at the end of the tax year
  • Is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, a grandchild, niece, or nephew)
  • Has his or her own Social Security Number
  • Lived with you for more than half the year
  • Didn't support him/herself (i.e., didn't pay more than half their own expenses)
  • Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien
    • Residents of Canada or Mexico wouldn't qualify

For further information, see the IRS website here: Child Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Son turned 17 in 2019. Last year tax refund was almost 4000. This year tax refund barely hit 2200. Thought something was wrong until I google Child Tax Credit requirements. 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Based on what you are saying, your child turned 17 in 2019. Unfortunately, this makes him ineligible for the Child Tax Credit. Please read the requirements below or visit IRS Pub 972 Child Tax Credit for more details.

A child must meet the following eight requirements to be considered a qualifying child for the Child Tax Credit:

1) Is the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, sibling, stepsibling, half brother, half sister, or a descendent of any of them (grandchild, niece, nephew, etc.),

2) Lived with the taxpayer for more than half of the year,

3) Was under age 17 at the end of the year,

4) Did not provide over half of his or her own support during the year,

5) Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien (child tax credits are not allowed for nonresident alien children residing in Canada or Mexico even if they qualify as dependents),

6) Is younger than the taxpayer claiming the child,

7) Does not file a joint tax return unless the return is filed to claim a refund, and no tax liability would have existed had the child and spouse filed separately, and

😎 Is claimed as a dependent of the taxpayer claiming the Child Tax Credit.

@thematrix1129

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies