turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 2 1098 forms. One mortgage transferred my loan to another mortgage . in 2019. Do I list my property taxes even though they are included in my monthly payments?

In one answer it says to NOT list my property taxes where it is required of me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I have 2 1098 forms. One mortgage transferred my loan to another mortgage . in 2019. Do I list my property taxes even though they are included in my monthly payments?

If you are paying property taxes as part of your monthly mortgage payment, the amount paid from your escrow account to your local property tax authority is usually reported on your Form 1098 from the mortgage company.  

If the amount is reported on the Form 1098 for property taxes, then enter it on the same screen where you are entering your mortgage interest.  The tricky part is if both Forms 1098 that you received report property taxes paid.  If this is the case, you have to be sure that the amount is not being reported twice and that you actually paid the total amount shown on both forms.  

The property tax amount will not be included as part of the mortgage interest that is reported.  They are two separate amounts even though taken from a single monthly payment.

@8558august

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies