turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed 2019 with no earned income. Did TurboTax report that for me to the IRS? I filed even with no income because I always file my taxes Now I wonder if TURBOTAX did

I just want to be sure the IRS received my 2019 taxes even though there was no income earned
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

I filed 2019 with no earned income. Did TurboTax report that for me to the IRS? I filed even with no income because I always file my taxes Now I wonder if TURBOTAX did

Did you e-file? Did you get the email or text message that your filing was Accepted?

After you e-file, you should always check to see if your filing was Accepted or Rejected by the IRS.

If you don't have any idea, then get a transcript from the IRS for 2019. This should note whether or not you filed.

If you can't get the information otherwise, the best answer is to ask the IRS for a transcript. The transcript that you want is the Tax Account transcript, because this transcript will show (among other things) your taxable income and all payment types.

Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. If you can, try to order the transcript online. However, this can be difficult, because the IRS may have trouble validating your identity. If so, then switch to ordering a transcript by mail using the form 4506-T.

Note that getting a transcript will likely be very slow because of work disruptions at the IRS from the pandemic.

What you want is the following:

* "Tax Account Transcript"

* for year ending in 12/31/2019

If you have to paper file the 4506-T (because online wouldn't work), then be sure to sign the form before you fax or mail it (and your spouse, too, if you have one).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did this for 2018 no problem. I got a thank you email but I don’t see 2019 on the it’s website when I log in. This is a terrible mess. I guess I have to find an accountant to re submit it so I can qualify for stimulus checks. Sad. I really had no idea your efile is not a solid option that works. 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Previous to 2020, the IRS did not accept for e-file a tax return that showed no income. There is an exception for that in 2020 because of the stimulus checks that you can get even if you don't have any income. So, your return may not have been eligible for e-file, but you should have seen a notification for this when you filed your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies