I DON'T WANT to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit

I don't want to claim this tax credit, even though I qualify for it. How do tell turbotax to suppress this option? 

You can switch to the Lifetime Learning Credit instead by entering "letme" onto the search topics box.

Thanks for the help but TurboTax won't let me get to the education credit page. Just zaps to the wrapping up tax credit page. Inputting "letme" is also only giving me a bunch of vaguely related help pages.

Entering "letme" without quotes has no effects. This approach does not work. thank you for your time though

Then you are not doing it right.   See this help article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-override-the-turbotax-education-optimizer-...

It should take you to the "Education and Credits" section and ask if you want to change your deduction.

It could be a system thing, operating system/browser, but then again am not sure.  I can bring out other forms for editing except AOC. Still, thanks for the help. 

It is not a form that you edit. It just gets to the point in the interview to change the AOC option and that is the ONLY way to change it in the online version.

At this point just lie to the program and say you were in jail ... this info doesn't go to the IRS it will simply stop the credit.  

@Critter  The OP said they don't want the AOC, they probably still qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  OP did not say that they did not want that either.

The "letme" option should get you the these screens:

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 6.46.07 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-10-12 at 6.46.19 PM.jpg

You are not required to claim a credit that  your are allowed.  But not claiming it doesn't allow somebody else to claim it.  For example if you are the parent that is allowed to claim the credit, you cannot forego claiming it to allow the student other other parent to claim it. They must qualify. The general rule, if you qualify to claim it; they don't qualify.