turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didnt receive the full stimulus money earlier this year. I claim 1 child age 11. I got 1200. Did not get the 500. I plug the info in for this year it says I got max?

I should have received 1700 and when I use the recovery rebate this year it says I got the max amount allowed. I do not make near what the cut off is.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I didnt receive the full stimulus money earlier this year. I claim 1 child age 11. I got 1200. Did not get the 500. I plug the info in for this year it says I got max?

@kristyrc1980 - first, let's make sure than when you plugged in the stimulus payments, TT was asking you for both payments SEPARTELY.  The software was updated this afternoon and if you only see one field to plug in the stimulus, log out and log back in so we are sure you have the up-to-date software.  There need to be 2 fields for this to work correctly, 

is your child listed in MyInfo correctly? look closely.  ss#? lived with you all year? when asked if THE CHILD provided more than 50% of her own support, you answered "NO'.  US citizen or resident alien? check it all closely.  

I just have this feeling that TT may not see your child as a dependent.

if you have paid for the return, pull up the Form 1040 and over to the right where your daughter is listed there is a check mark - it needs to be under the "child tax credit" column - if not, that is why the recovery rebate is not giving you the right answer,

post back what you find...we will figure this out! 

View solution in original post

26 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You will be able to collect the difference when you file your tax return.  The amount sent was based off of previous years' filings.  If you don’t receive the correct amount of stimulus payment, you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 taxes and it will provide the same amount of payment as the stimulus would have. TurboTax will guide you through this to make sure you get every dollar you deserve.

We suggest that you save your IRS letter-Notice 1444 which is mailed after the IRS provides you with a stimulus payment. You can use that info when you file your 2020 return to make sure you’ve received the amount you deserve. If your stimulus payments weren’t correct, you may receive the funds as a credit which can add to your refund.

The software is not yet ready and tax filing does not open up until the end of the month.  But by that time, the software will be able to handle getting you the 2nd payment and any portion of the first payment that you did not receive.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I use the tool it is not giving me credit for my son. 

@kristyrc1980 - first, let's make sure than when you plugged in the stimulus payments, TT was asking you for both payments SEPARTELY.  The software was updated this afternoon and if you only see one field to plug in the stimulus, log out and log back in so we are sure you have the up-to-date software.  There need to be 2 fields for this to work correctly, 

is your child listed in MyInfo correctly? look closely.  ss#? lived with you all year? when asked if THE CHILD provided more than 50% of her own support, you answered "NO'.  US citizen or resident alien? check it all closely.  

I just have this feeling that TT may not see your child as a dependent.

if you have paid for the return, pull up the Form 1040 and over to the right where your daughter is listed there is a check mark - it needs to be under the "child tax credit" column - if not, that is why the recovery rebate is not giving you the right answer,

post back what you find...we will figure this out! 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What tool are you using?   Rest assured, you will get the additional money for your son when you file your 2020 tax return.  

Yep I saw the two separate places and I put 1200 on the top and 0 on the bottom. When it went to calculate what I should receive it said 600 which doesn’t include my first 500 and the second 600. I had all the right boxes checked from last year and receive the child tax credit on my taxes last year. I know I can’t call irs and when I did call they said to claim it on the taxes but I can’t. 

The recovery rebate.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You will be able to claim it on your taxes, but the software is not ready yet.  Filing season does not start until later this month, so be patient and when the software is ready, we will be here to make sure that you receive all the money your are entitled to.   I would not worry about that tool right now as they are not sending out anymore payments anyway.  Anything you did not receive yet, can and will be credited on your 2020 tax return.  

Omg your right. It’s in the right box for 2018 taxes. I just looked at 2019 taxes and for some reason it’s over on other dependants. How do I fix this?

When I go down to line 13a it gave me credit for child tax credit but the box above isn’t checked 

@kristyrc1980 - okay, so there is something that is incorrect in MyInfo related to your son.  It might be easier to delete him and re-enter..... and then watch closely and think about each question... THAT is why the recovery rebate on Line 30 is not right! 

let me know what happens! 

This was for 2019 which I already filed. How do I change it

When I go to amend and look at the info he is there as a dependent??? I don’t understand how that box got checked 

let's get 2020 fixed first by removing your child and re-entering; let's be sure that the $1100 shows up on Line 30 and then we also know the child tax credit is correct. 

but in 2019, before amending, did you get the $2000 child tax credit? (and this does get messy if you are eligible for EITC).  But one step at a time.... look at the Child Tax Credit Worksheet (In the desktop version it's called Child Tax Cr), how much is on Line 10? and is Yes or No checked? 

Alternatively on the 2019 tax return what number is on Line 13a? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies