turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gcmiles1

i closed out my company 401,took some money out and put money in a rollover ira,went i finally got my 1099r it didn't show me putting money in box 10,how do i show i put money in a new ira,if its not on 1099r.i did pay taxes on this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

i closed out my company 401,took some money out and put money in a rollover ira,went i finally got my 1099r it didn't show me putting money in box 10,how do i show i put money in a new ira,if its not on 1099r.i did pay taxes on this

When you enter the 1099-R, you answer all the follow up questions and indicate how much of the withdrawal was rolled over to an IRA within the 60 day limit for making a rollover.  On form 1040, the amounts on lines 4a or 4c should show the total distribution amount and the amounts on line 4b or 4d would have the taxable amount which is the total minus the amount rolled over.  The word rollover should also appear somewhere near these lines. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

No, you would not have to pay taxes on the amount you rolled over to the Traditional IRA, provided the rollover is completed within 60 days of the distribution.

After you have entered your form 1099-R, follow the TurboTax interview until you arrive at a page asking What did you do with the money? Answer that you moved the money to another retirement account and that you did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money. Then click Continue. (see screenshot).

On the next page, you can enter the amount that you rolled over to the Traditional IRA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

on the 1099-R or in step by step mode you can enter the amount rolled over. you must have done it within 60 days of receivibg distribution. it's in  section B of 1099-R.  since you did not make a direct rollover tthe 1099 will not indicate the amount rolled over 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies