turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I claimed my child for 2020 taxes and got all the stimulus checks but didn’t get the child tax credit?? Why??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I claimed my child for 2020 taxes and got all the stimulus checks but didn’t get the child tax credit?? Why??

How old was the child in 2020?

She was 1 year old. 

@rpeets82 Do you mean you did not get the child tax credit on your 2020 tax return, or do you mean you are not receiving the monthly CTC payments that began in July?   Or neither?

It sounds like your child was born in 2020----when you entered the information for her in My Info did you say she lived with you for the whole year?  You need to say that for a new baby, even if the baby was born on December 31.   Did you enter her Social Security number?    Did you enter income you earned from working?

Look at your 2020 Form 1040 and see if it shows the child tax credit on your return:

Look at your 2020 Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you received

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 31 (from line 13 of Schedule 3)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

As for the monthly payments---if you do not receive the payments you will be able to reconcile the child tax credit on your 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have the same question. I am receiving the CTC payments for 2021, monthly, but I have yet to receive the CTC for the 2020 tax year. I checked my transcript and it was listed in the proper place but as you travel down the scripts to the totals, it is completely missing. I had UIA benefits due to Covid but they automatically updated that so I was not required to do an amendment to decrease my wages, however, the CTC was never sent. 

@Jennifer T wrote:

I have the same question. I am receiving the CTC payments for 2021, monthly, but I have yet to receive the CTC for the 2020 tax year. I checked my transcript and it was listed in the proper place but as you travel down the scripts to the totals, it is completely missing. I had UIA benefits due to Covid but they automatically updated that so I was not required to do an amendment to decrease my wages, however, the CTC was never sent. 

The Child Tax Credit reported on Line 19 on Form 1040 is not a separate tax refund.  It is included in the federal tax refund shown on Line 34 on Form 1040.

@DoninGA yes, this I know, however, it did not add to the refund total amount. I did not have any debts of which it could be collected and applied to and all items were listed on the appropriate lines. The credit shows on my transcript but it is not reflected on the refund line. 

@Jennifer T wrote:

@DoninGA yes, this I know, however, it did not add to the refund total amount. I did not have any debts of which it could be collected and applied to and all items were listed on the appropriate lines. The credit shows on my transcript but it is not reflected on the refund line. 

The credit will also reduce the amount of taxes reported on Line 18.  Look at your Form 1040, Line 21 (which includes the CTC) is subtracted from Line 18 with the result on Line 22.

@DoninGA I used the 1040 form and the refund line does not include the numbers from line 18 or 19 for the total refund amount on line 35a. 35a specifies the amount overpaid and does not include the CTC in the refund section.  

@Jennifer T The child tax credit reported on Line 19 will be subtracted from the amount of taxes on your taxable income reported on Line 18.  If the result is 0 or less only 0 will be reported on Line 22.  The child tax credit is a non-refundable credit meaning once it has been used to reduce your taxes to 0 no further credit will be included as a tax refund.

However, if you are eligible you will receive an Additional Child Tax Credit reported on Line 28 of the Form 1040.  This amount is will be included in the federal tax refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies