Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I check off 'None of the above" with respect to HSA, MSA accounts. It does not save because I keep getting a comment at the end of full check

I do not have any MSA, HSA accounts
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I check off 'None of the above" with respect to HSA, MSA accounts. It does not save because I keep getting a comment at the end of full check

It is possible to accidentally indicate to TurboTax that you had an HSA when perhaps you didn't. If you did not have an HSA, please do the following to remove all traces of HSA information from your return.

NOTE: if you see a question "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did you have any December 1, 2019?" (yes, 2019), be sure to answer "NONE".

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, 8853-T (if one) and 8889-S and 8853-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. continue with your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you have a dollar amount in your W-2 box 12 with code W? If you do, your employer is indicating contributions to an HSA. If you’ve never had an HSA, you need to contact your employer for a corrected W-2. Filing with an incorrect W-2 and not reporting the HSA will definitely prompt a letter and tax assessment from the IRS.  If you made a typo when entering your W-2 and chose the wrong code for box 12, you may be able to correct it without going through the thorough deletion process described above.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies