If you have been on an F-1 visa less than 5 years or part years, then you need to file nonresident tax returns (1040NR) along with amended 1040X.
If your 2019 return has been e-filed and accepted by the IRS. you will need to amend your return.
If it has been rejected by the IRS, then do not refile. Instead file a 1040NR with Sprintax.
You will need to complete a nonresident return and print it and attach it to your amended return(1040X). TurboTax does not support nonresident returns however we have a partnership with Sprintax. They offer nonresident tax filing solutions to our TurboTax customers.
To amend your 1040 resident returns (you will need to amend both the 2018 return and the 2019 return.
- Print copies of 1040X (amended return) on the IRS website. The amended 1040X form is not finalized so you will need to wait until it is finalized.
- Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on the Form 1040X.
- Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
- Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
- Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X
- Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.).
- Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”
- Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.
Please see page 7 of the 2019 1040X Instructions
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Still have questions?Make a post