turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

artistguy

I am a self employed graphic artist. Last year I purchased a drone to get aerial photography for my work. Where do I enter that expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am a self employed graphic artist. Last year I purchased a drone to get aerial photography for my work. Where do I enter that expense?

There are 17 unique categories for entering business expenses in the TurboTax Home and Business program for a Schedule C.  If you have a particular expense that does not fit in the other 16 categories listed use Other Miscellaneous Expenses at the bottom of the list.

• Click on Business
  • Click on Business Income and Expenses
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • On Profit or Loss from Business, click on the start or update button

On the next screen, click on Edit for your business listed.

On the next screen scroll down to Business Expenses

On Other Common Business Expenses, click on the start or update button

Anonymous
Not applicable

if it was expensive.  I would enter using the asset entry worksheet and then take 100% bonus which will fully expense it.   some drones cost $100 which I would just list as an ordinary expense. others could cost $ thousands which I would use the above method.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

"Tax deductible expenses are almost any "ordinary, necessary, and reasonable" expenses that help to earn business income. Deductible expenses are those that can be subtracted from a company's income before it is subject to taxation. When it comes to what exactly is meant by ordinary, necessary, and reasonable expenses, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has defined these as any expenses that are "helpful and appropriate" for a business." https://www.inc.com/encyclopedia/tax-deductible-business-expenses.html

"Generally, you cannot deduct personal, living, or family expenses. However, if you have an expense for something that is used partly for business and partly for personal purposes, divide the total cost between the business and personal parts. You can deduct the business part." https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/deducting-business-expenses#personal

Manage cookies