turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA early withdraw

Hello, this year my company started a new HSA plan and gave employees a $1500 free start up.  I haven’t touched said HSA this year but was curious wha true penalty would be for early withdraw.  I read up and saw a 20% deduction plus it will be taxed.  With open enrollment I’d personally like to go back to the traditional co pay plan meaning I have this free $1400 sitting here which honestly can really be helpful for tackling student loan debt.  If I were to take this early withdraw what kind of money would I realistically be seeing back? The 20% reduction makes sense but I’m not entirely sure how much loss or gain or whatnot would be removed from my taxes. Are you able to spread some light?  Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

HSA early withdraw

@Ajacobs87   Penalty is 20% of $1500 equals $300 plus the regular income tax based on your income level. Assume 12% and it's another $180. A total of $480 penalty and tax leaving you a net of$1020.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

HSA early withdraw

HSA early withdraw

@Ajacobs87   Penalty is 20% of $1500 equals $300 plus the regular income tax based on your income level. Assume 12% and it's another $180. A total of $480 penalty and tax leaving you a net of$1020.

HSA early withdraw

Thank you very much! That’s helpful!

HSA early withdraw

Don't forget your state will also tax this. This could be around 5-15%.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies