turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bert1000

How do I import charitable donations from Its Deductible to Turbo Tax -- why is this so difficult?

Cannot import charitable donations from its deductible to Turbo Tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

How do I import charitable donations from Its Deductible to Turbo Tax -- why is this so difficult?

Are you using TT online (web) or TT desktop (CD/download)?

"cannot import"
Does that mean you need the steps to find the import interface, or that you get an error?
andydashe

I need the steps to find the import interface...Andy

@andydashe
I left various methods for getting there below.  Good luck.

andydashe
You didn't say which product you are using.  The answer below is for Online TurboTax which is the case for most people who ask this question.   If you're using the desktop product (CD/download), then report back if you still can't find it.   Even in the desktop product you can use the Search method similar to the first 2 methods in the answer below .

This answer is mainly for ONLINE TurboTax.  However, the Search method in desktop TurboTax can be performed similarly to the first 2 methods below by using the Search box in the upper right of the desktop TurboTax interface and choosing the "Jump to". 

To import from ItsDeductible you must be using Deluxe or higher edition.  Here are 4 ways you can get to the interview screen in Online TurboTax to import from ItsDeductible.  See which one works for you.

While all 4 methods work for me, I tend to favor Method 3, since it shows the list of all topics as you enter the search term.   The 2 "jump methods" are more picky and have to be done exactly right.

[10/13/19 NOTE:   Currently some users are not receiving the "Jump to" links when using Methods 1 and 2.  If that's your situation, then try Method 3.]

Method 1:

• When the return is open, click in the top right corner on SEARCH.
  • In the search box, enter the term itsdeductible ( one word, without quotes) and then click the magnifying glass icon (do not choose anything in the dropdown menu or it might not work).  (see screen image 1)
  • Then click the “Jump to itsdeductible” link in the search results. 
  • Answer Yes to Did you make any donations to charity in 2018? 
  • The next screen will ask if you have an ItsDeductible account.  Answer Yes.
  • Follow the instructions and import your donations.

Method 2: 
Same as first method above, but in the Search box enter donations (without quotes), and then click the magnifying glass icon (do not choose anything in the dropdown menu or it might not work).  Then click "Jump to donations."

Method 3:

• With the return open, click in the left menu column on Tax Tools, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose Topic Search. 
  • Enter the word itsdeductible without quotes, highlight the selection, and click GO.
  • Next screen asks:   "Did you make any donations to charity in 2018?"
  • When you say "yes", the next screen is:  "Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?"
  • Say "yes" and continue the interview.

Method 4 :

• Using regular navigation go to Federal Taxes tab, then the Deductions & Credits section. 
  • Scroll down and look for a link that says "All Tax Breaks".  Click that to expand, then you will see all deduction topics and subtopics. 
  • Or you may encounter a button that says "Jump to full list" that will take you to "All Tax Breaks." 
  • Or you may see a link "Skip to see all tax breaks" that will take you to the full list.

NOTE:  If you are using the navigation method and try other navigation routes, you may not see the ItsDeductible option in that Donations section. 

johnshober
Returning Member

I had the same problem - tried and tried - finally the last time I saw a popup msg that said I had a sign-in problem, possibly suggesting it didn't like either ID or Password.  It left a phone # to call, but lost it before I could write it down - don't know how to recapture it.

@ johnshober wrote:

I had the same problem - tried and tried - finally the last time I saw a popup msg that said I had a sign-in problem, possibly suggesting it didn't like either ID or Password.  It left a phone # to call, but lost it before I could write it down - don't know how to recapture it.

@ johnshober 

We don't know what that "same" problem is, since more than one person has posted in this old thread and the threadowner never responded to explain his situation.   You can explain your situation in detail and may get some assistance in this forum.  But more info is needed, such as if you are using Online TurboTax or if you are using the desktop software (and if so, is it for Windows or Mac), and exactly what/where you are encountering difficulty.

In any case, if you are asking how to phone TurboTax Support, the hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Midnight Eastern).   They are open this weekend due to extended filing deadline approaching.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

amy14

on-line

@amy14 wrote:

on-line

You're posting in a jumbled old thread with multiple users and have no provided no information about what you are experiencing.  What is it you need to know, or what roadblock are you encountering?   Have you read this whole thread?  I've provided info in a comment below on how to import from ItsDeductible into Online TurboTax.

I'm having issues as well.  I am (obviously) logged into intuit, and of course my accounts are linked.  But the second factor authentication fails when I try to authorize the info import by "signing in" - no texts, calls or emails.  Zip.   

Don't mean to hijack; I doubt the issue is the same.  Will post my own.

@mesquitebean, currently, none of your solutions work due to a bug that's been an issue for weeks. I called support and they confirmed the following prompt does not appear:

"Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?"

I spent hours entering in all of my charitable donation receipts into ItsDeductible online, but have no way of importing them into my TurboTax online tax return. My only options are to manually re-enter them all or wait until the bug is fixed. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can import directly from the Charitable Donations section in either TurboTax Online or the Desktop/CD version.  In the Deductions & Credits list, there is an option to Import from ItsDeductible.   The first image is from the desktop software and the image below is from TurboTax Online.  

@smconvey

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies