turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bh421

How do I correct my additional child tax credit 2019 option ? My return keeps getting returned

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

How do I correct my additional child tax credit 2019 option ? My return keeps getting returned

To switch which income year you are using to claim the additional child tax credit,

• Click on Deductions & Credits
  • Edit Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit
  • Continue to Do you want to use last year’s earned income?
  • Say No and TurboTax will use your 2020 income.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got a additional child tax credit for 2019 it's a form they want me to fill out but I'm not sure what I need to do

No

You can use the 2019 Adjusted Gross Income instead of your 2020 income when claiming the child tax credit.  Here's how:  

• Click on Deductions & Credits
  • Edit Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit
  • Continue to Do you want to use last year’s earned income?
  • Say Yes.

Here is a TurboTax article about the CTC.

@Carolyn4484

jekyes787

Daughter has child born in May 2020.  How do we claim him (her return, my copy of Turbo Tax),  How do we claim his $1,100 ($600 from 1st stimulus and $500 from 2nd stimulus?)

MayaD
Expert Alumni

When you enter the child as a dependent in the My Info section of the program correctly, the stimulus payments for the child will be included as a tax credit on the federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

To add a dependent:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax, if you aren't already in it.
  2. Select My Info in the left navigation.
  3. Select the Add a dependent button.

When we ask how many months your newborn lived with you, always answer The whole year, even if your baby was born on the last day of 2020.

Enter all of your federal return information as you would normally. During the Federal Review, we’ll check if you meet eligibility requirements for the stimulus payment. If you meet the requirements, you'll see a It looks like you qualified for the stimulus, did you get any payments? screen. We'll ask a few questions about any payments you've already received and then let you know if the Recovery Rebate Credit applies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies