Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kj11gm

How can I enter separate k-1s using multiple k-1 wks, to report more than one type of foreign gross income sourced at the entity level?

TT error states that Box 16 Description-1 has been entered for more than one type of income.  My entries for Foreign gross income were Box 16 D and H.  I understand that I need to separate 16 D and H, since they are both described as Foreign Gross Income,  with one described as Foreign Gross Income – Section 951A category and the other as Foreign Gross Income – Other.  How would I enter the 2 K-1 wks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

How can I enter separate k-1s using multiple k-1 wks, to report more than one type of foreign gross income sourced at the entity level?

Do  any cells in box 16 have a zero?
kj11gm

Yes, 16 F & G.  I sent another question after I learned more about this help site.  Here it is below:

TT error states that Box 16 Description-1 has been entered for more than one type of income.  My entries for Foreign gross income were Box 16 D and H.  I understand that I need to separate 16 D and H, since they are both described as Foreign Gross Income,  with one described as Foreign Gross Income – Section 951A category and the other as Foreign Gross Income – Other.  How would I enter the 2 K-1 wks.
I hope you can help.

Box 16 (D,F.G, H) conflict. In Forms Mode, in the left pane, click on the "k-1 partner ()" to bring it up in the right pane. Scroll down to 16 Foreign Transactions. F,G, and H are to be deleted. F and G permanently and H will be moved to a 2nd K-1. Put the pointer over F and a little box will appear. Click on it and a drop down box will appear. Using the scroll bar move it up to the top where you see "(No entry.). Click on that and Code F and the descriptor will be deleted. Then move the pointer to the zero on the right and delete it. Repeat this for G and H. After you are done, no remaining code should be highlighted in red. That completes the original K-1.

To create a new 2nd k-1. The menu Fed taxes > Wages & Income > Business Items > Schedules K-1. Click on the button. Then the screen header Schedule K-1 or Q. Click Yes. Next screen, Form 1065. Click on the button. Next screen "Partnership /LLC K-1 summary. Click on the add k-1 button.

Fill in the data for Part One. Skip Part 2. In Part 3,  insert the amount in Box 16 Code H. You are done.

kj11gm

Very Comprehensive answer - Thank You.  Just some follow up comments.  Fortunately, I did not input anything for 16 F & G since they were zeros.  Regarding the entry of 16 H, to get a clean "no part II" version of the second K-1, I assume that I would have to go to the forms view to finish completing my entry of 16 H only.  Correct?  Please advise.

It is probably easier to fill in part 1 using the step by step method. For part 2, just leave the entries blank and work thru the screens to get to part 3 and complete the box 16 entries. If you want to, you can do all this in Forms Mode if you prefer.

I forgot to mention that due to a TT quirk, TT can see the k-1 inside the foreign tax credit interview only if there is tax paid. So in both K-1's, insert $1.00 into  Box 16 code M. After completing the interview, bring up the f1116 wks. and in part 2 override the 1.00 with a zero.

Correction, that is box 16 Code P not M.
kj11gm

I appreciate all your information, but, the program is still not working right.  Here is what I have noticed and experienced with questions along the way:
1. When you say skip Part II, the program still asks you questions that take you into part II;  Should everything blank in Part II after all is said and done?
2. Why do you need to skip Part II for the second k-1?
3. When you say to input $1.00 initially into the k-1, code 16 P, after completing both k-1 forms, the dollar does not show up in the form 1116;  also, there appears to be one form that is entitled as Form 1116 (COPY 1).  I expected to see 2 form 1116 forms, each with a $1.00 listed in Part 2 of the forms.
4. For total clarity, let me define all the boxes (Part III) for which I have amounts as supplied by the Company on the original Schedule k-1:
Box 1
Box 5
Box 6a
Box 6b
Box 8
Box 9a
Box 10
Box 11 F with detail description provided on a Supplemental Information Statement
Box 11 I with detail description provided on a Supplemental Information Statement
Box 13 A
Box 13 H and 13 L with descriptions/amounts provided on the Supplemental Information Statement
Box 16 A (Various)
Box 16 B
Box 16 C
Box 16 D
Box 16 H1 with description/amount provided on the Supplemental Information Statement
Box 16 U and 16 V with descriptions/amounts provided on the Supplemental Information Statement
Box 17 A
Box 18 C
Box 19 A
Box 20 A
Box 20 B
Box 20 AG with detail description provided on a Supplemental Information Statement
Box 20 AH 1 through AH 5 with descriptions/amounts from the Supplemental Information Statement for each.  
Note also, that besides supplying the aforementioned Supplemental Information statement, the Company also provided a State Schedule, detailing income information by State (for 18 states plus 1 municipality)

Can you provide me any other steps that might help me file this k-1?  Thank you very much.

In Box 16, code H "other" is not a category of income recognized by f1116. So TT did not know what to do with it. The H1 with the supplemental info is foreign to me. If I had that k-1, what I would do since there is no foreign tax paid (code P) and thus no credit is needed, I would dispense with all foreign transactions. To do that, in Forms Mode, bring up the partnership in the right pane. Scroll down to 17. Just above it, there is a quickzoom to enter additional foreign info.Scroll down to Box 16: Foreign transactions. The under "Codes P, Q: etc.", line 3a asks "do you want to forego completion of f1116? Check mark the Yes box. That should remove all errors. Now I would only need the original k-1.
Steve74

I have a Partnership K-1, Box 16, Code H entry of four figures. I tried to solve the "G and F or H" conflict by creating a new K-1 for Box 16, Code H alone. TT then forces me to select a Category of Income from a dropdown menu: Lump-sum distributions; Section 901(j) income; or Income re-sourced by treaty.  None of these descriptions fits what is reported on my K-1. This snag has prevented me from e-filing and has wasted many hours of my time. Please help if you have any ideas.

johns6
Returning Member

I can't get the drop down box to work

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

When you have items in conflict for a K-1 you need to add another K-1 for the same business to put these items in.  You do not add any of the other boxes that contain numbers just the items which will not work if they are all on the same K-1.

For Box 16 on the first K-1 leave the entries that don't conflict and then on the second K-1 add the other boxes for Box 16 only.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rayshinn

how can i enter separate k1 worksheets for more than one type of foreign income

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies