turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hola For California Property taxes, are taxes considered on cash basis for income tax ? if I prepay next years installment, can I included it in the income tax when paid?

Property taxes California, cash basis?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hola For California Property taxes, are taxes considered on cash basis for income tax ? if I prepay next years installment, can I included it in the income tax when paid?

You are asking from TT Live.  Please contact your Live rep.

You cannot deduct taxes that have not been billed yet but if the 2023 tax bill comes out in 2022 and you pay the 2023 taxes in 2022 then they are deductible on the 2022 tax return.  And if you paid the 2022 tax bill in 2022 you would have 2 tax bills to report on the 2022 return.   But you cannot simply overpay the RE taxes just to force a deduction before the bill has been issued. 

I'm in California too.   When I get the bill I pay both parts (Nov & April).   A long time ago when I could itemize deductions I would alternate and pay 3 payments (April, Nov & April)  in one  year and then the next year have less to pay and deduct.  So I would get a bigger deduction every other year.  

That is still allowed and a valid tax planning tool  HOWEVER  since 2018 the SALT act has limited the RE & state taxes on the sch A to a max of $10K so this method may no longer be advantageous.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies