Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi I am F1 student. This year I am resident alien for tax. I did not get the stimulus. Could you help me file tax for 2020 with this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Hi I am F1 student. This year I am resident alien for tax. I did not get the stimulus. Could you help me file tax for 2020 with this issue?

@yuruyucheng , when did you enter USA with F-1, which country are you from; did you have any earnings  during 2020;  are you married  ( and if so is your spouse a US citizen/Resident ) ?

I was F1 phd from (2015-2017) and (2018-2023). From China. Yes, Research Assitance stipend every year. Not married. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@yuruyucheng  so 2020 will be  your first year filing as  Resident Alien for Tax Purposes.  TurboTax supports the form 1040  that you need.  When you get your forms  from the Univ.  just  tell TurboTax the form you have   and enter that data  into TurboTax.  There should;d be no issue preparing the  return and you can e-file.  Also note that students from China are allowed to exclude  US$5000 from taxation -- using form  8233 etc.

If you have already got the earnings forms  from the school , then you are ready -- start using TubroTax and tell me  if there is any specific issue  you encounter 

stay safe

Could you help me get the stimulus check?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies