turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

petermpls

healthcare premium (1095-A) deduction for self-employed

We acquired our healthcare coverage from the exchange hence were issued a 1095-A to reflect that.  My impression from TurboTax is we cannot deduct the premiums under my wife's business (self employed) because our premiums are reported on 1095-A.  This does not make sense.  Am I misunderstanding TurboTax?  Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

petermpls

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

What do you mean by "self-employed".  Are you a sole proprietor (if so, use Schedule C), or are you an LLC or a Corporation (S or C)?

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 16 then to 1040 line 8a, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 16, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

BUT do not enter any Health Care Marketplace insurance you bought.  If you enter the 1095-A and select the "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box, it will automatically include those premiums in the SE Health Insurance section.  So you shouldn't enter it again on schedule C.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

For Schedule C, enter your 1095-A in the normal section. You will see the two screens below.

petermpls

Thanks for your reply.  We file a Schedule C.  My issue is why does Turbotax say not to use premiums reported on 1095-A for the self-employed insurance deduction.  

Where?  It might say that under schedule C input area so you don't enter it again.  You only enter it under the 1095A area.

petermpls

Thanks Volvogirl.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies