turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KML66
Returning Member

Health Market Insurance & Divorce

I was divorced 12/27/18 and was still covered under my ex's insurance until 1/27/19, so my Health Markets 1095-A form only shows 11 months coverage. How will they know that I was covered in Jan?  Also, I have 3 sons who are dependent but covered by their father's health insurance. One son made under $2,600 last year and is filing his own taxes and marking that he is claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. Do I still have to include his income in my MAGI? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Your ex received a 1095-B and/or a 1095-C reporting to the IRS that you had insurance.   But there is no need to enter that on your tax return, as the IRS already has that information (and the penalty for no insurance is $0 now anyways).

If your son's income of $2600 was from a job (W-2) or self employment, no, don't include his income in the healthcare section on your tax return.  But if it is from other sources, please give as much detail as possible about what is income is from.

KML66
Returning Member

Hi. Thanks for your answer. All of the money my son earned was from a W-2 except for $75, which was a stock dividend that he was going to claim on his taxes.  All 3 of my sons received the same amount of dividend from stock left by their grandparents. Do I need to include that in my MAGI? Thanks.

No, you don't need to include his income for your MAGI for health insurance.

KML66
Returning Member

Thank you for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies