turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made a entry error when entering property taxes paid and cannot find how to correct entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I made a entry error when entering property taxes paid and cannot find how to correct entry?

Go back to Deductions and Credits

Select Your Home

You can either get to your entry through Mortgage Interest, Refinancing or Insurance (1098)

or the next line, Property (Real Estate)Taxes. 

Through one of these you can view your entry and correct.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LisaBr

Go back to Deductions and Credits

Select Your Home

You can either get to your entry through Mortgage Interest, Refinancing or Insurance (1098)

or the next line, Property (Real Estate)Taxes. 

Through one of these you can view your entry and correct.

jansapsych
Returning Member

this does not work, it will not allow me to change the error  if I try to edit it will say you cannot do electronic filing unless you put it back the way it way   My issue:  property tax   8,336    input 83,3671

@jansapsych 

Did you use the desktop software in "Forms Mode"  ?

.....You cannot change it with an override (an override produces that problem)...you must cancel the override to let the number revert to the wrong one and then change the $$ number in the proper place.

...... on the Deductions&Credits page.

1) If paid by escrow thru your Mortgage, then at the line labelled "Home Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance"

2) If not paid thru your mortgage (or no mortgage) , then its on the "Property Taxes" entry point

Be careful when entering the $$, the value...if you hit a comma instead of the decimal point, it will produce the 83thosand value you showed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
jansapsych
Returning Member

thank you so much, that worked.   

tridip

That does not work. When I try to go back it goes to Additional Property Tax

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

To correct the entry to your property taxes while in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Select Deductions & Credits,
  2. Select Property Taxes,
  3. Select Edit,
  4. Change the information on the screen.

If this doesn't correct the issue, you may need to correct this data through the 1098 (mortgage interest statement) data entry screen by following these steps:

1. Select Deductions & Credits,
  2. Select Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098),
  3. Select Edit/Add,
  4. Select Edit next to your mortgage lender,
  5. Continue through the next few screens until you see Let's get details from your 1098.
  6. Scroll down until you see your property taxes,
  7. Change the information on the screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@tridip 

You are close to the correct spot.   ( Don't use the "Search" function either )

IF you are using Online software...go to the Deductions& Credits page and make sure you have expanded it to show all possible Deductions& Credits.

Then you can choose between the Home Mortgage section entries, or the Property Taxes entry.

BUT...if you entered your property taxes with the Mortgage, the $$ amount there will also show up on the "menu" page alongside the Property Taxes .....those are $$ already entered...and if you actually enter the Property taxes, then you will only be putting in additional amounts beyond the $$ entered with your 1098 mortgage statement.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies