turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8911 not working (2-20-20)

I just downloaded the latested update after being notifed form 8911, Alternative Vehicle refueiling property credit form was available. I filled out the information required, including the cost of my charging station. No matter what value I set, I get the following message: 

The total personal portion of your Alternative Vehicle Refueling property credit is currently $0. The total personal portion and the totla bussiness portion of your Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit for all vehicles is currently $0. This form will not be included in the tex return you file. 

Does anyone know if this is an issue with Turbo Tax or am I misunderstanding the credit? My understading is we should receive a 30% credit to the cost of the charging station. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I tested by increasing my tax liability to see if the $0 credit would change. It didn't. There looks to be something wrong with the calculations of this credit.

TT team - please review!

Same issue for me.  Trying to update Form 8911 for 2018 tax return now that the credit has been extended but it keeps saying 0 credit even though i do have a tax liability.  I am not subject to AMT so there is no reason that this tax credit should be 0.  There's something wrong with TT 2018.

PS.  Not sure if you were reporting issue for TT 2018 or 2019.  Looks like for 2018, Intuit has not released the amendment software to handle the extenders.  Link to that thread below.  There is a signup list that you can get added to for the 2018 update.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/tax-extenders-8911-8917-etc-upda...

jebjeb

Did this issue ever get resolved for you? I am using TurboTax Online and still encountering the same problem. 

Yes, it did!  TurboTax released the update for TT 2018 (Windows) about 2 weeks ago.  I was able to generate the IRS Form 1040X to claim the retro on energy credits.  I had both energy efficiency improvements as well as EV charging station installation credits to claim.  Took a bit longer than originally promised but it worked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies