Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 2441 - Dependent Care Benefits

I contributed $5,000 pretax to a Dependent Care Account through my employer.

I've filled out the forms through TurboTax and it is telling me I have no eligible dependent care expenses. This has never happened before. 

When looking at the 2441 form that generated, instead of my income being on line 18, and my wife's on line 19, it is entering both of our income on line 19, and leaving line 18 blank. Therefore, for line 20 (enter the smallest of line 17, 18, or 19), it is entering a zero .

This is a problem because for line 25 (enter the smaller of lines 20 or 21), it is entering the $0 from line 20.

Please advise how to correct this issue.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Since all the income is appearing as your wife’s on Form 2441, you might double-check your W-2(s) or Schedule SE to make sure that your SSN was entered.

If your SSN is correct, delete your W-2(s) and re-input.  Please see the TurboTax Help article How do I delete a W-2? for guidance.

To claim the credit, both spouses generally must have earned income.

Thank you for the response John.

I looked back and both W2's were designated for my Wife. Correcting this changed our return dramatically.

The software is saying I already registered my return (I did pay for the online software). However, I didn't yet submit my returns to the government.

Am I able to make the corrections and "re-register" my return prior to submitting them to the government?

For example, I was trying to clear the entire return to start over and it told me: "Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over."

Thanks

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can make any corrections/updates you need and continue your return until either e-filed or printed. Just continue the interview process until completed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies