turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing from abroad (Germany) - can I deduct car insurance?

Hi,

I've been living in Germany for two years now and due to Covid-19 I no longer want to take public transportation to get to work. I'm going to buy a used car and will need car insurance. Germany has mandatory insurance, in other words you can't get away from it. I finally found a service called Joonko which seems to be the only English speaking car insurance comparison website in Germany. Their quote seems ok (not too expensive, but also not cheap due to the fact that I don't have a driving history in the country) but I am wondering if there is a way to deduct the expense from my US taxes to offset it somewhat? I also file German taxes but don't think I can deduct it there. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, y'all. 

Nick

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, you cannot deduct your car insurance.  The costs of commuting to and from work are not deductible.   If you were here in the U.S. you would also have to carry car insurance if you owned a car.    It would not be deductible on your tax return unless you are self-employed and the car expenses are part of your schedule C for your self-employment expenses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No ... employee business expenses of any kind are not deductible on a US return any longer.  And even when they were commuting expenses have never been deductible. 

No, you cannot deduct your car insurance.  The costs of commuting to and from work are not deductible.   If you were here in the U.S. you would also have to carry car insurance if you owned a car.    It would not be deductible on your tax return unless you are self-employed and the car expenses are part of your schedule C for your self-employment expenses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the info - I figured as much, but at least now I know for sure 😫 Thanks again!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Even if it's bad news the info is much appreciated! N

You are welcome.  Stay safe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies