turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Expenses for work. I moved from Oklahoma to Del Rio Texas 2019-2020. I paid $6,600 in moving expense. I am a federal employee

I also would like to know how to claim moving expenses from 2018 with orders as a federal employee
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Expenses for work. I moved from Oklahoma to Del Rio Texas 2019-2020. I paid $6,600 in moving expense. I am a federal employee

Because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 2019, employee business expenses including moving expenses are no longer deductible unless the move was mandated through military orders. Some states do allow employee business expenses to be claimed as itemized expenses. These include:

• Arkansas.
  • California.
  • Hawaii.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Jersey.
  • New York.
  • Pennsylvania

[Edited 02-08-2021|17:56 PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Beginning with the 2018 tax year, the moving expense deduction is suspended until the 2025 tax year, unless you're an active duty military member or their spouse or dependent.

In order to deduct expenses related to a move of residence on your 2020 tax return, you must meet two requirements:

1. You are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty
  2. You relocate due to a permanent change of station 

So there's nothing for a federal employee who relocates for another federal position??

I moved from England to Oklahoma in 2018. Is there a way for me to claim that??

I was on orders as a federal employee

Does Texas qualify as a state that you can claim for moving expenses?? Is there another area i can claim this on my taxes??

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 2019, employee business expenses including moving expenses are no longer deductible unless the move was mandated through military orders. Some states do allow employee business expenses to be claimed as itemized expenses. These include:

• Arkansas.
  • California.
  • Hawaii.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Jersey.
  • New York.
  • Pennsylvania

[Edited 02-08-2021|17:56 PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies