Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering "State prior depreciation" I cannot find this, and it says not to leave it blank

I contacted our Arkansas state tax office and they said to call the IRS, which I did to no avail. I see the "state adjustment to federal depreciation amount" on my previous tax return. It is a total of all items depreciated, and does not show the individual items on a schedule where I can see the difference they are asking for on TurboTax. I lost my download for TurboTax 2021 because of computer issues. So I cannot go back to that, and I do not know what to do since it says not to leave it blank.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Entering "State prior depreciation" I cannot find this, and it says not to leave it blank

The Arkansas 2021 tax return including government and TurboTax worksheets may generate a schedule of the differences.

If you are using the Desktop version, the only digital copy of the tax return was saved on your local computer hard drive.

@danielle-51 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I do have the total for the difference between the federal depreciation and the state depreciation for all assets combined. It is from the worksheets like you mentioned. My problem is that I have one total only, not a schedule showing me the difference in federal and state depreciation per asset, and that is what TurboTax is asking for. I have talked to everyone I know to talk to this morning, and I still don't know what I need to do next because I do not know how to get access to that information.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Basically, Arkansas does not allow Bonus Depreciation, that allowed you to claim 100% of an Asset in the year it was purchased and placed in service on your Federal return. 

If you know which assets you purchased new and claimed Bonus Depreciation on, you could subtract those amounts from your Arkansas Depreciation amount.  Otherwise, state depreciation is the same as Federal. 

Generally you just need to enter the difference between Federal/State depreciation in a state return.

Where are you seeing that you need to make an entry for each asset?  If you can clarify, we'll try to help. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you MarilynG1. I think you just gave me the answer I have been needing. This asset was the first one I added as I was going through the Depreciation part of TurboTax. We claimed the "special allocation" for it that first year. That allowed us to claim almost half of the depreciation right up front. After I selected "yes" on TurboTax, that I did receive a special allocation, it prompted me to enter in the amount of the special allocation, which I did. Then it asked me to enter in the difference in the federal and state depreciation. Now I think I understand it all has to do with that special allocation that was taken. I never moved on to the next asset too far, but was assuming I would be asked this same question. Now I know it goes with this asset only. I am new at this, and it has been slow at times to understand, but I am always grateful for the answers I receive. If you feel like I am not understanding please let me know. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies