Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Electric Vehicle Tax Credit

I completed the Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Tax credit section and it says my vehicle is not qualified for the tax credit. The VIN was verified on VIN Check. However, on the IRS website it states that my vehicle is qualified.  My vehicle is a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Vehicle. 

How do I correct this error.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies

Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit - Estimated to be available on 01/29/2020

Where did you find that date? This page:https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html states 1/29/2020. I'd like to complete my taxes... held up on the availability of this form online...

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS forms availability table dated January 29, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just opened TurboTax Deluxe and relaunched to find that you're still waiting for the updated form.  When I followed the link to see when it will be available, it says "Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit...available."  I tried to update again, but the program says I'm up to date.  I need this to be able to finish my return to provide it to the Social Security Administration.

Yes - it says available, but it is NOT.

Today's date is 01/29/2020 - the date the form is supposed to be available. The screenshot below is the alert we get when clicking on the button to fill out the form. It is quite obviously... NOT ready. While all of us in this thread would like access to the form... It's probably easier to update the availability table with a new date so irate and confused users don't end up on this forum.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 5.24.20 PM.png

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The form is not available until 2/05/2020, according to this Turbo Tax link. Select it to verify if this is correct..

My bad.  I need 8936, not 8834.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this Turbo Tax link, form 8936 is not available until 2/5/2020.

That link says that form 8834 is now available (previously stated 01/29/2020). It is NOT available. I still get the notification posted above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

even in the desktop TT has not been updated for the form as of today,  the IRS website shows it's ready.  so it's up to TT programmers to update the program to  reflect the approved form 

I called the customer service phone number and after 3 hours got a call back. While the gentleman I spoke to was extremely nice, it was no use because he was experiencing the same issue when looking into the system where the electric vehicle tax credit is supposed to go. He, too, attempted to enter the information and got the same message that it wasn't ready from the IRS but then when he clicked on the link it said that the form was available. So, after waiting for 3 hours and speaking to somebody, I am no further a long. Turbotax, fix this issue ASAP please!

irishmol

That link shows form 8834 available in print and e-file formats. Like others, I am stuck and can't complete my return until that form is available to complete through Turbo Tax.

@irishmol wrote:

That link shows form 8834 available in print and e-file formats. Like others, I am stuck and can't complete my return until that form is available to complete through Turbo Tax.

This section of the program is waiting on the other forms for the vehicle tax credit to become available on 02/12/2020

Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit

Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies