turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Electric Heat Pump

Under Deductions and Credits it says that "some electric heat pumps qualify for an energy credit" but I do not see where I can enter that information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Electric Heat Pump

@MareP wrote:

I understand where to go on the deduction (Home Energy Credits )page but the election for electric heat pump is not there! Geo thermal and natural gas are the only selections I can make. I'm not even sure if mine qualifies but I have nowhere to enter it if it did.

Marianne

For HVAC, electric heat pump water heater, natural gas, propane, or oil water heater, and a stove that burns biomass fuel to heat your home or heat water. Enter the cost in the box labeled Energy-Efficient Building Property.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Electric Heat Pump

If your electric heat pump qualifies for an energy credit, you can enter it in the Home Energy Credits section of TurboTax.

• While signed in and working in TurboTax
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand black menu
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down and click on Show More next to Your Home
  • Click on Start or Revisit next to Home Energy Credits

Geothermal heat pumps and electric heat pumps approved by Energy Starr are eligible for credits. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Electric Heat Pump

I understand where to go on the deduction (Home Energy Credits )page but the election for electric heat pump is not there! Geo thermal and natural gas are the only selections I can make. I'm not even sure if mine qualifies but I have nowhere to enter it if it did.

Marianne

Electric Heat Pump

@MareP wrote:

Marianne

For HVAC, electric heat pump water heater, natural gas, propane, or oil water heater, and a stove that burns biomass fuel to heat your home or heat water. Enter the cost in the box labeled Energy-Efficient Building Property.

Electric Heat Pump

I do not see a box "Energy-Efficient Building Property" option.

Electric Heat Pump

@MareP wrote:

I do not see a box "Energy-Efficient Building Property" option.

On this page when accessing the Home Energy Credits section under Deductions & Credits>Your Home

Energy Efficient Building Property.JPG

Electric Heat Pump

I am an idiot. I do see that box. Thank you!

Electric Heat Pump

I replaced my electric A/C with a Goodman Heat Pump in 2020.  Is that deductible?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Electric Heat Pump

Maybe.  If your heat pump meets these standards per the manufacturer documents.

An electric heat pump that achieves the highest efficiency tier established by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) in effect on January 1, 2009.

Here is a link with 2009 CEE highest efficiency tiers. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Electric Heat Pump

How do I claim credit for 2 energy efficient heat pumps I installed in 2020?

I understand there is a $300 credit per heat pump.

I installed 2.

When I enter the cost of 2 systems ($15,000) under Energy Efficient Building Property, TurboTax kicks out $300 total credit.

Is this correct?

Am I not eligible for 2X$300= $600 ?

Electric Heat Pump

Yes, $300 total is correct.  While heat pumps that are ENERGY STAR certified meet the requirements for a $300 energy efficiency tax credit claimed on Form 5695,  the total amount is limited to $300, unfortunately.  It's not per unit and it's not for a residence other than primary, according to IRS instructions page 6 & 7.

Electric Heat Pump

Those links don't work, sigh.

Electric Heat Pump

@slowreader wrote:

Those links don't work, sigh.

Links for what?  This thread is over three years old and with tax code changes any links posted could be no longer valid.

Electric Heat Pump

MareP is right. Earlier on the initial list electric heat pump wasn't included, and now it is. DOes this mean we will see another update that includes being able to enter the heat pump cost to see if a credit is available?

Electric Heat Pump

@bjbreining The IRS Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits for tax year 2023 has not been finalized in TurboTax.

The form is currently scheduled to be available on 01/17/2024 (subject to change)

Go to this TurboTax website for forms availability - https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies