Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deuce1313
Returning Member

Electing to take 50% bonus depreciation versus 100% bonus depreciation for a heavy truck > 6000 lbs

I am trying to take 50% special depreciation for a heavy truck (> 6,000 lbs) placed in service during 2019 but Turbo tax is not allowing me to do that. It is making me take either 100% or nothing- does anyone know why I might be having this problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Electing to take 50% bonus depreciation versus 100% bonus depreciation for a heavy truck > 6000 lbs

I suspect you're confusing the SEC 179 50% depreciation allowance with the 100% Special Depreciation Allowance. They're two different things.

deuce1313
Returning Member

Hi Carl:

I'm trying to figure out what combination of section 179 expense, bonus depreciation and regular depreciation to take on a heavy truck purchased during 2019 and used in a business so as not to create a large Schedule C loss and trigger a large audit risk - the cost of the truck is $93k and if I take the entire $93k it creates a $30k Schedule C loss for which Turbo Tax is showing as a high audit risk. In 2018, a similar heavy truck was purchased and 100% depreciation was taken but it did not result in a Schedule C loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies