turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hilley_sc

Doing standard deduction & gave $225 cash to charity. Telling me i have to change amount on 10a & 10b even though the amount is correct. Says Cash Charitable too large?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Doing standard deduction & gave $225 cash to charity. Telling me i have to change amount on 10a & 10b even though the amount is correct. Says Cash Charitable too large?

For 2020, you are allowed to deduct up to $300 ($150 if Married filing Separately) of cash donations to 501(c)3 organizations even if you do not itemize your deductions.

In order to take this above-the-line deduction, enter your donation(s) under Deductions & Credits > Charitable Donations > Donations to Charities in 2020.  The deduction will be added above-the-line by TurboTax after you have completed the  Wrap up tax breaks interview in TurboTax if you take the Standard deduction.

On your form 1040, this deduction appears on line 10b - Charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction. You do not fill in line 10a or line 10b directly. TurboTax will populate them for you after you complete the steps above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
B RadJ
Returning Member

I have a similar issue.  TT did include the cash deductions of $205 on line 10b even though I take standard deduction.  However, during error checking for the federal return, TT told me that 10b had to be blank and I was forced to make it zero to continue.  I think that the team did a great job of noting the change in the rules to include up to $300 in cash donations.  However, I think they may have forgotten to change the error checking algorithm?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This seems to be an issue when anything other than $300 is input into line 10b. If you have the same issue after changing the amount to $300, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
B RadJ
Returning Member

Thanks  - It is not an issue for TT.  I just figured out that the original work led to standard deduction, but we ended up slightly over standard so the 10B line needed to blanked.  Sorry.  The software was great at suggesting standard, but later reverted to itemized and I was not aware.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies