Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

suanlacai

Does new remote worker with Boston office need pay state income tax

Hi

I got an offer from Spotify from Boston,Massachusetts with starting date of Dec, 2021. Spotify allows me to work remotely so I am going to move to Flordia.

My question:

Do I need pay personal income tax from Massachusetts state?

Thanks

Shan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Beginning September 15, 2021, employees working remotely outside of Massachusetts should have wages reported and taxes withheld to the state where they are physically performing services. 

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/how-a-remote-workforce-changes-state-1411150/

@Critter-3 wrote:

Beginning September 15, 2021, employees working remotely outside of Massachusetts should have wages reported and taxes withheld to the state where they are physically performing services. 

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/how-a-remote-workforce-changes-state-1411150/

That wouldn't have applied in any case, since that temporary rule applied to former in-state workers who temporarily relocated out of state due to the pandemic.  The taxpayer here was never an in-state worker to begin with.

@suanlacai 

In general, you owe income tax to the state where you physically live, and where you physically perform the work.  There are 6-7 states that tax telework, but Massachusetts is not one of them.  However, you will owe a non-resident Massachusetts tax return to report and pay tax on any wages earned while you are physically in the state of Massachusetts, even temporarily.  For example, if you are required to attend in-person meetings or training 1 day per month, then about 5% of your wages would be considered MA state wages and you would report them and pay taxes on a non-resident return.  Be sure to track the days you perform work in Massachusetts, if any.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies