turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent and child tax credit

Since my ex and I have been divorced he's been claiming my son who is now 14 and I've been cleaning my daughter who is now 19. Last year 2020 when we filed we switched kids so I can get the college tax breaks since I had a 529 fund. I don't think he's eligible for the tax credit because he makes too much. Is there a way to switch our dependence around again after filing so I can get that $300. I also don't think he qualified for the last stimulus for my daughter who's in college and I was wondering if there's a way to go back and fix that as well

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You both would need to amend your tax returns for 2020. Your amended return should reflect your filing status as of the last day of the calendar year. Don’t file an amended return because your status changed after the calendar year.

The IRS has long processing times due to the pandemic. It may take some time for the amending to update on your tax transcript.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Basically my ex doesn't qualify so I want to get that money because I need it. But I've always filed claiming my son who is eligible for this advance tax credit. But the one year I changed claiming my daughter this credit comes out so neither of us will get it. It's not really a status change So I'm confused on why are you said not to amend.

DOlli_EA
Expert Alumni

Hi,

At first it sounded like you want to change to claiming your daughter for 2021 tax year.

Do you now want to claim both children as dependents for 2020? If so, then a 2020 Amended Tax Return would be the way to do that.

If you just want to claim both children for 2021, then a 2020 Amended Tax Return would not apply.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies