turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions & Credits / Charities - Donations suggestions from experienced turbotax user

Hi TurboTax.  I have 2 suggestions for your Deductions & Credits / Charities that would make life easier for all of us.

1) Allow easier renaming of charities.  Currently, if one of my charities has a name change, as often happens, I think I have to delete that charity and create a new one.  Actually, I CAN rename it, it turns out, but only AFTER I add money to the report.  That is counterintuitive.  This brings up a new problem, which is:

2) Allow sorting of charities.  This is like so duh!  Why don't you do this already?  Or else if the feature exists, why can't I find it?  I give to dozens of orgs every year.  Finding them and avoiding duplicate entry in Turbotax is onerous because I can't sort my charities list.  This just makes my tax preparation experience all the more unpleasant.

Please, make some enhancements.

Thanks-

Kent L.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Deductions & Credits / Charities - Donations suggestions from experienced turbotax user

Use the It's Deductible tool where you can do both things you mentioned and then simply import  the info once a year into the income tax program once you have finished  entering in  all the donations for the year.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/ 

its ded import 2019.jpg1....jpg1a.jpg

Thanks.  That would have been nice to know before I spent several hours entering donations.

Strange that I need to go use an online tool and then import the entries into TurboTax.  Feels clunky.

But ok - I will use it for my 2020 tax preparation.

Happy Holidays

Just make sure you use the same UserID/password for the ItsDeductible account that you have for your Online tax account.   You can only import those Its Deductible entries if the UserID/Pwd is exactly the same.  If you ever create an entirely separate new tax account, then you cannot import any data from the old ItsDeductible account.   (the same is not true for those who are using the desktop software.  Desktop folks can import from any ItsDeductible account)

Anyone with an Online TurboTax account, actually has an ItsDeductible account with the proper UserID/Pwd......it's just that it might be empty if they haven't used it.   Changing the Pwd for one, also changes the pwd for the other....so that isn't an issue.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you for that useful info. 

I keep track of donations on spreadsheets.  It works great.  If Turbotax would allow imports of pre formatted .csv files, that would be nice.

FYI ...   The IRS Sch A only records ONE entry for the cash donations so I would not waste time entering in any cash donations in any program if you keep a spreadsheet  to support your deduction.  Just enter the total once in the TT program using the general term "cash donations".  Only spend time entering in the non cash donations and even those can be consolidated... for instance if you give baby supplies to a local shelter each month I would consolidate it to one entry per tax year. 

@Critter-3 wrote:

I would not waste time entering in any cash donations in any program if you keep a spreadsheet  to support your deduction.  Just enter the total once in the TT program using the general term "cash donations".

😍👍@Critter-3this is the single greatest piece of advice I have ever read in these community forums! Original Poster's criticisms of TurboTax's godawful charity entry "list with no features, no sorting, no direct edit" are spot-on, so why suffer with them if you don't need to?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies