turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deduction while living abroad Germany

I live in Germany in the entire 2019. When filing the medical and education expense, it asks me whether I have medical expenses I paid out of my own pocket or education expense. I have in Germany and I am able to claim some of them in Germany. In the case when I can already claim in Germany. If I say yes I would claim it 2 times. If no then it is not true. How should I answer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program is really asking if you have medical expenses to claim. That is a big difference in your situation.The program will carry any medical expenses you claim to the schedule A for a potential deduction. The program is not the IRS, it is just a go-between. It will not go on your tax return as a no.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can only claim the same expense once. You will want to claim any expenses not already claimed. As you have received a type of reimbursement by claiming them in Germany, they are not deductible here.

The IRS states:  "You must reduce your total medical expenses for the year by all reimbursements for medical expenses that you receive from insurance or other sources during the year."

Please click on this link to Medical Expenses for full instructions on what you can and cannot deduct.

AmyC 

Thank you for your answer. My question is: How should I answer since if I answer no I don't have medical expense it would not be a true statement.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program is really asking if you have medical expenses to claim. That is a big difference in your situation.The program will carry any medical expenses you claim to the schedule A for a potential deduction. The program is not the IRS, it is just a go-between. It will not go on your tax return as a no.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies