Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deducting Union Dues from Maryland State Tax Return

I have been told I can deduct my union dues for my Maryland state tax return but I can't figure out where to input the information on my TurboTax Deluxe software.  I know I cannot deduct it on my federal income tax but where would I for my state of Maryland tax return?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

From what I have read, you may not be able to deduct.  To verify, I would suggest you contact Maryland.  Click here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

Also, see instructions for the form, https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/forms/19_forms/resident_booklet.pdf

@riv1215

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Contacted the comptroller of Maryland and they said no.  

As of Tax Year 2023,  Maryland state employees can deduct union dues on stat. From my understanding, the cap is $250. Is this correct? And where would I include it on my state return?

Information flows from the federal return to the state return.  Although your union dues are not deductible on your federal return, you enter them while you are working on your federal return.

-W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal return.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a federal deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

If you live in a state that lets you deduct job-related expenses, the information will flow from your federal return  to the state return, so enter it in Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies