Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Daughter in college

My college daughter has a part-time job where she makes around $10,000. She does not pay for over half of her college living expenses, etc. Should I be claiming her on my tax return as a dependent? OrShould she file herself single and I do not claim her?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Daughter in college

Hello londonbeck,

You can file a return for your daughter whether or not you claim her as a depedent. In fact, according to this article, you must file a return for her. Assuming your daughter had taxes withheld from her paycheck, you will want to file a return in order to get those taxes back in a refund.

You need to consider a couple things when deciding to claim her as a dependent or not. Being in college, I assume she is 18 or older where the other dependent credit available to you will only be $500. Not claiming her and allowing her to claim herself may give more back than the $500 credit you would receive. So, you will need to play around with the numbers to see which scenario gives the better refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
R-SchuleCPA
Expert Alumni

Daughter in college

There is no income limitations for college students to be claimed as a dependent, so if you meet the support test then your child should eligible. However,  if child has filed a tax return, then she should not have claimed herself as a dependent. If she did then it would prevent you from claiming her. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies