turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cobra Payments and Medical Deductions

Hi Folks,

Okay so 2020 was pretty bad for most of us. I ended up using Cobra for most of the year at $1K per month. The insurance I was using for Cobra  through my former employer pretty well sucked being a High Deductable Plan but better than nothing. Anyway am I correct in going Medical expenses and then just adding in my out of pocket prescription costs, doctor visits and lab test costs (that weren't covered by the insurance  plan) and most importantly.. add all of my Cobra premiums paid  in the box Medical Insurance Premiums where it states How Much Did You Spend on Insurance Premiums? 

Thought I would check. Appreciate your time. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

That IS correct. All out of pocket AND premium costs you paid are medical expenses. 

The TurboTax interview will ask for items separately, more to make it clear to taxpayers what expenses can be included, but they are all medical expenses. 

If you Itemize Deductions, the amount over 7.5 of your Adjusted Gross Income will be listed on your Schedule A. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You should only put your insurance premiums in the Insurance Premiums bucket.  

It is true they will all flow to the Medical expenses that will be subject to 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income but you are risking muddying the water by adding all your expenses with your premiums together in the premiums bucket.

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Appreciate it! Just to clarify when you pull up the medical expenses "interview" it goes step by step through prescriptions, doctor's visits and lab tests for which I paid out of.pocket as these were only partially covered by the insurance ( welcome to High Deductible Plans).

Further in the  "interview" it gets to medical premiums for which I added all my Cobra premium costs in 2020.

So is this not correct? 

Thanks again for the input!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

That IS correct. All out of pocket AND premium costs you paid are medical expenses. 

The TurboTax interview will ask for items separately, more to make it clear to taxpayers what expenses can be included, but they are all medical expenses. 

If you Itemize Deductions, the amount over 7.5 of your Adjusted Gross Income will be listed on your Schedule A. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for responding and clarifying!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies