Czs

Child tax credit

Someone used my daughter and I as dependants on their 2020 taxes without my permission. They also have received the monthly child tax credit of $300 direct deposited into their bank account. I have asked them for $300, but they refuse to give it to me. How do I stop this nightmare? 

Child tax credit

Did you file your own return for 2020 and claim your daughter?   You can get the Child Tax Credit when you file your 2021 return.   

AmeliesUncle

Child tax credit

@Czs wrote:

Someone used my daughter and I as dependants on their 2020 taxes without my permission.

They also have received the monthly child tax credit of $300 direct deposited into their bank account.

1)  They don't need your permission.  What matters is if they are eligible to claim you and/or your daughter.  Did you more than $4300 of income in 2020?  If so, are you age under age 19 (or under age 24 and a full time student)?  Did they pay for over 1/2 of your support?  Is that person related to you (and if so, how are they related)?  Did you live with them?  The more details you can provide about the situation, the more likely we can help you figure out if they were eligible to claim you and/or your daughter as a dependent.

2)  *IF* that person was NOT eligible to claim you and/or your daughter as a dependent, you can report them for tax fraud.    But before you do that, you need to be REALLY SURE they are not eligible to claim you and/or your daughter.  Again, they do NOT need your permission if they are eligible to claim you.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf