turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child Tax credit

Why did I not qualify for the child tax credit, but I did qualify for earned income credi.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Child Tax credit

Sometimes that happens. Here are the requirements for the Child Tax Credit:

• Is the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, sibling, stepsibling, half brother, half sister, or a descendent of any of them (grandchild, niece, nephew, etc.),
  • Lived with the taxpayer for more than half of the year,
  • Was under age 17 at the end of the year,
  • Did not provide over half of his or her own support during the year,
  • Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien (child tax credits are not allowed for nonresident alien children residing in Canada or Mexico even if they qualify as dependents),
  • Is younger than the taxpayer claiming the child,
  • Does not file a joint tax return unless the return is filed to claim a refund and no tax liability would have existed had the child and spouse filed separately, and
  • Is claimed as a dependent of the taxpayer claiming the Child Tax Credit.

If you don't meet all the requirements, you won't get the Child Tax Credit.

Regarding the Earned Income Credit (EIC), you may have qualified for this credit based on income. If your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) was less than $15,570 ($21,370 for joint filers), you can qualify even if you don't have a qualifying child

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

24 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Child Tax credit

Sometimes that happens. Here are the requirements for the Child Tax Credit:

• Is the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, sibling, stepsibling, half brother, half sister, or a descendent of any of them (grandchild, niece, nephew, etc.),
  • Lived with the taxpayer for more than half of the year,
  • Was under age 17 at the end of the year,
  • Did not provide over half of his or her own support during the year,
  • Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien (child tax credits are not allowed for nonresident alien children residing in Canada or Mexico even if they qualify as dependents),
  • Is younger than the taxpayer claiming the child,
  • Does not file a joint tax return unless the return is filed to claim a refund and no tax liability would have existed had the child and spouse filed separately, and
  • Is claimed as a dependent of the taxpayer claiming the Child Tax Credit.

If you don't meet all the requirements, you won't get the Child Tax Credit.

Regarding the Earned Income Credit (EIC), you may have qualified for this credit based on income. If your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) was less than $15,570 ($21,370 for joint filers), you can qualify even if you don't have a qualifying child

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Child Tax credit

CHILD TAX CREDIT

There was lots of hype in the news about the new $2000 Child Tax Credit when the tax law changed for 2018 and beyond.    Unfortunately, some people do not yet understand that it does not mean they will automatically receive $2000 per child just for filing a tax return.

Do not assume your refund will include $2000 per child for child tax credits.  It does not work that way.  The CTC is used first to reduce your tax liability to zero. After that, there is a refundable portion —up to $1400 — called the Additional Child Tax Credit that is calculated based on the amount of income you earned.  You do not necessarily get the maximum amount.  You get 15% of the amount of income earned above $2500--UP to the maximum amount possible.

If your child turned 17 in 2019, even on the last day of 2019, you do not get the child tax credit.  There are no exceptions to the rule.  You can still claim your child as a dependent.

Your child must have a Social Security number to get the CTC. 

If your child was born in 2019 you need to say the child lived with you for the WHOLE year.

If your child lived with you for less than half the year you cannot get CTC.

If you did not earn at least $2500 you cannot receive the child tax credit.  Beyond that amount the CTC you receive is affected by your tax liability and the amount you earned.  You might not get the full $2000 of CTC.

The child tax credit is reduced by $50 for every $1000 of AGI over these limits:

Married filing jointly                $400,000    (CTC disappears at $440,000)

Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Separately or qualifying widower               $200,000  (CTC disappears at $240,000)

Look at your 2019 tax return to see the credits you received:

Child tax credit line 12a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 17b   (schedule 8812)

Credit for Other Dependents line 12a

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

Ive got 4 children and did not receive the children tax credit

Child Tax credit

@monamaynard61 Are you asking why you did not receive the child tax credit on your 2020 tax return, or are you asking about the monthly child tax credit payments for 2021 which began in July?   Did you file a 2020 tax return on which you claimed your children as dependents? Did you enter income earned from working on that tax return?    What are the ages of your children?   Do they have Social Security numbers?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

No I've not received anything for the. Children

Child Tax credit

@monamaynard61 If you do not answer any of the questions asked above we will not know how to help you.

monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

I didn't receive anything for the children for 2021

Child Tax credit

@monamaynard61 wrote:

I didn't receive anything for the children for 2021

Why are you having a problem with answering the following questions so we can be of assistance?

Are you asking why you did not receive the child tax credit on your 2020 tax return, or are you asking about the monthly child tax credit payments for 2021 which began in July?   Did you file a 2020 tax return on which you claimed your children as dependents? Did you enter income earned from working on that tax return?    What are the ages of your children?   Do they have Social Security numbers?   

Child Tax credit

@monamaynard61 You were asked some specific questions which you are not answering.

Did you file a 2020 tax return?

Did you enter income earned from working on a 2020 tax return?

How old are your children?

Do your children have Social Security numbers?

monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

I didn't receive my child credit tax

monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

I didn't receive my child credit

monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

I didn't receive my child tax credit

Child Tax credit

@monamaynard61 You keep posting that you did not receive the child tax credit.   But you have been asked some questions and never answer them.   We do not know if you are not seeing the responses to your posts or if you are just not replying to the questions.   We cannot help you without more information.

monamaynard61
Returning Member

Child Tax credit

I've got 4 kids

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies