turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jackie060307
Returning Member

Child tax credit

I claimed my 13 year old and in my taxes it has a check mark next to claimed as a child tax credit but I didn’t get the 250 it keeps saying I am not elegible. Why is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Child tax credit

We cannot see any of your information so we do not know what the portal is telling you or why it says you are not eligible yet.    This is a brand new system thrown together by the IRS after Congress changed tax laws in the middle of the tax season.  There are going to be bugs, glitches and mistakes made and folks will unfortunately have to be patient until they sort it out.  

If you do not receive the monthly payments you will be able to get the CTC on your 2021 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jackie060307
Returning Member

Child tax credit

So there isnt anything I can do now to get the monthly payment 

Child tax credit

Maybe you can add the child for the credit  IFFFFF the IRS ever gets that portal open ...  look under manage payments. 

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

jackie060307
Returning Member

Child tax credit

I have all it says is you didn’t claim anyone and I did. I thought the reason for this was to get help 

Child tax credit

The system was cobbled together on a whim and a prayer  in a short period of time so it may not work as intended so if you cannot add a child already claimed you may not get the advance payment and will have to wait and get the credit on the 2021 return you file next year.   

There is nothing you or we can do to fix the IRS system ... complain to your federal congress person if you want change.  

Child tax credit

@jackie060307 wrote:

I have all it says is you didn’t claim anyone and I did. I thought the reason for this was to get help 

The Turbotax forum can offer some limited tax help and suggestions.  No one on this forum has the authority to intervene with the IRS and "make" them do something.  The advice and suggestions we can give you is the following:

1. The IRS is hugely backlogged and it's amazing anyone got paid this month.  We don't know why some people who apparently qualify didn't get paid, and the IRS does not give out that information to anyone but the taxpayer (even if they were taking phone calls, which they are not). 

2. The IRS is supposed to allow people to enroll new or skipped children later this summer or fall.  There is nothing you can do before then to claim the advanced credit.

3. If you don't get the advance payment or don't get the full amount, it will appear as a credit on your tax return. The advance payment doesn't change the amount you receive, only the timing of when you receive it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies