turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child Tax Credit

Do I have to have a certain amount of income to be eligible for the Child Tax credit check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JoeD_CPA_CFP
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Child Tax Credit

Hi,

Thank for the question! No. Even if you have $0 in income, you can receive advance Child Tax Credit payments if you are eligible. There are other eligibility requirements for the credit.

You qualify for advance Child Tax Credit payments if you have a qualifying child. Also, you — or your spouse, if married filing a joint return — must have your main home in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia for more than half the year. Your main home can be any location where you regularly live. Your main home may be your house, apartment, mobile home, shelter, temporary lodging, or other location and doesn’t need to be the same physical location throughout the taxable year. You don’t need a permanent address to get these payments. If you are temporarily away from your main home because of illness, education, business, vacation, or military service, you are generally treated as living in your main home.

For more information regarding eligibility for advance Child Tax Credit payments, and the Child Tax Credit generally, see Topic B: Eligibility for Advance Child Tax Credit Payments and the 2021 Child Tax Credit.

For information on how the amount of your Child Tax Credit could be reduced based on the amount of your income, see Topic C: Calculation of the 2021 Child Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

JoeD_CPA_CFP

Child Tax Credit

You're welcome!

JoeD_CPA_CFP

Child Tax Credit

No. They are not income and will not be reported as income on your 2021 tax return. ACTC payments are advance payments of your tax year 2021 Child Tax Credit.

However, the total amount of ACTC payments that you receive during 2021 is based on the IRS’s estimate of your 2021 Child Tax Credit. If the total is greater than the Child Tax Credit amount that you are allowed to claim on your 2021 tax return, you may have to repay the excess amount on your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season.

For more information regarding your eligibility for repayment protection, and how to reconcile your advance Child Tax Credit payments with your Child Tax Credit on your 2021 tax return, see 

Topic H: Reconciling Your Advance Child Tax Credit Payments on Your 2021 Tax Return.

For this reason, you may wish to unenroll from receiving advance Child Tax Credit payments.

You can unenroll through the Child Tax Credit Update Portal (CTC UP).

For more information regarding the CTC UP, see Topic F: Updating Your Child Tax Credit Information During 2021.

10 Replies
JoeD_CPA_CFP

Child Tax Credit

Hi,

Thank for the question! No. Even if you have $0 in income, you can receive advance Child Tax Credit payments if you are eligible. There are other eligibility requirements for the credit.

You qualify for advance Child Tax Credit payments if you have a qualifying child. Also, you — or your spouse, if married filing a joint return — must have your main home in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia for more than half the year. Your main home can be any location where you regularly live. Your main home may be your house, apartment, mobile home, shelter, temporary lodging, or other location and doesn’t need to be the same physical location throughout the taxable year. You don’t need a permanent address to get these payments. If you are temporarily away from your main home because of illness, education, business, vacation, or military service, you are generally treated as living in your main home.

For more information regarding eligibility for advance Child Tax Credit payments, and the Child Tax Credit generally, see Topic B: Eligibility for Advance Child Tax Credit Payments and the 2021 Child Tax Credit.

For information on how the amount of your Child Tax Credit could be reduced based on the amount of your income, see Topic C: Calculation of the 2021 Child Tax Credit.

Child Tax Credit

Thank you for your prompt response!

JoeD_CPA_CFP

Child Tax Credit

You're welcome!

Child Tax Credit

Are advanced child tax credits payments taxable as income on my 2021 return?

JoeD_CPA_CFP

Child Tax Credit

No. They are not income and will not be reported as income on your 2021 tax return. ACTC payments are advance payments of your tax year 2021 Child Tax Credit.

However, the total amount of ACTC payments that you receive during 2021 is based on the IRS’s estimate of your 2021 Child Tax Credit. If the total is greater than the Child Tax Credit amount that you are allowed to claim on your 2021 tax return, you may have to repay the excess amount on your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season.

For more information regarding your eligibility for repayment protection, and how to reconcile your advance Child Tax Credit payments with your Child Tax Credit on your 2021 tax return, see 

Topic H: Reconciling Your Advance Child Tax Credit Payments on Your 2021 Tax Return.

For this reason, you may wish to unenroll from receiving advance Child Tax Credit payments.

You can unenroll through the Child Tax Credit Update Portal (CTC UP).

For more information regarding the CTC UP, see Topic F: Updating Your Child Tax Credit Information During 2021.

JoeD_CPA_CFP

Child Tax Credit

Thanks again

keyrose2492
Returning Member

Child Tax Credit

How can I go about receiving child tax credit monthly payment? Status says I am not eligible but I am certain I meet criteria. I filed taxes for 2020 as Head of Household claiming my minor daughter as my dependent as I always have. I definitely do not exceed any income threshold either. Is there a point of contact you could reference me to or troubleshooting to resolve the matter? I had hoped it was a "temporary glitch" within the system and would update by first date of disbursement for payments this month but such is not the case.

keyrose2492
Returning Member

Child Tax Credit

How can I go about receiving child tax credit monthly payment? Status says I am not eligible but I am certain I meet criteria. I filed taxes for 2020 as Head of Household claiming my minor daughter as my dependent as I always have. I definitely do not exceed any income threshold either. Is there a point of contact you could reference me to or troubleshooting to resolve the matter? I had hoped it was a "temporary glitch" within the system and would update by first date of disbursement for payments this month but such is not the case. I have attempted all troubleshooting steps of checking qualifying status for eligibility (which I meet) and requirements. Please help!

Child Tax Credit

I have not received any of the child tax credit because I was unable to verify my identity but I did receive my tax refund this year but I received it late will I be able to receive it this year when I file my taxes

Child Tax Credit

@Cmilling wrote:

I have not received any of the child tax credit because I was unable to verify my identity but I did receive my tax refund this year but I received it late will I be able to receive it this year when I file my taxes

Yes, if you are eligible and your children are eligible, you can get the increased Child Tax Credit for your dependents on the 2021 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies