Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child tax credit 2020

So I already filed my taxes on turbo tax but they only gave me $2,500 for claiming my two kids. I did an estimate on credit karma and they were giving me $2k per kid which would be $4k. I am unsure why I am getting different numbers, I checked everything about 10 times and it all matches up. Why would credit karma be giving me more? My husband and I both made $85k last year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Child tax credit 2020

Hi Wendy4612 - by any chance was one of your children 17 in 2019?  If so, this would be why the credit would be $2,500.  The child tax credit is up to $2,000 for each child who is age 16 or younger.  

At 17 and older, a dependent is eligible for the $500 credit for "other dependents".  If this does not explain your situation, let us know and we can explore a little further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Child tax credit 2020

One of my children is 7 and the other is 1. So no one was over the age of 17

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Child tax credit 2020

You may need to go back into My Info to check the dependents information. Pay special attention to the checkbox for this social security number not valid for employment.

On your return the Child Tax Credit is split into two places

Line 13a titled Child Tax Credit. This can include the entire amount if you have enough tax liability.

Line 18b titled Additional Child Tax Credit. This can include up to $1,400 per child if you did not have enough tax liability to cover the Child Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
shawnraejor23
Returning Member

Child tax credit 2020

I went to amend my 2019 taxes because I forgot to add my daughter onto my taxes well when I got on there I realize that my son wasn’t eligible for the child tax credit and I followed the directions and went back on my info but it’s still not let me switch it over please help me

Child tax credit 2020

Thank you!  I had the same question and my daughter did turn 17 in 2020 so this answer helped me!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies