Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child in college

My college daughter has a part-time job where she makes around $10,000. She does not pay for over half of her college living expenses, etc. Should I be claiming her on my tax return as a dependent? OrShould she file herself single and I do not claim her?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Child in college

Dear Londonbeck,

Thank you for posting your question in the forum today!

While it is not known whether you will be filing a 2020 or 2021 tax return as Single or Head of Household, which is the starting point of your decision-making because of a potential additional Standard Deduction of $6250 between the Single Deduction of $12550 versus the Head of Household Deduction of $18800, this alone will save you federal and possible state income tax dollars, before you even consider claiming your daughter as a dependent.

Because your daughter is most likely over the age of 18, additional maximum tax credit you would be eligible to claim is $500 through the Other Dependent Credit.

And as you stated, because your daughter's income is not providing more than 50% of her support that you most likely are providing, it will only be beneficial to you to claim her.

But, the other factor you have to seriously consider is the American Rescue Plan Recovery Rebates being provided for 2021.

Again, because your child is most likely over the age of 18, you would not be eligible to claim that portion of the rebate on her behalf if you claim her as a dependent, but she would when she files her own personal tax return and receive the Recovery Rebate Credit up to $1400.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies