turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kwells347

Child care Tax credit

I had the Child care tax credit of $600 removed from my refund.  The letter from the IRS states that I have to check the box at the top of form 2441 for meeting the requirement for  Married filing separately.  But I did not file married filing separately I filed as married filing jointly.  So I wouldn't think the box should be checked.

Is it better to respond to the letter or file an amended return with that box checked?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Child care Tax credit

You should be accurate. Look at your  tax return and verify that it says MFJ. If it does, contact the IRS, tell them, and offer to mail the return to them again. If it says MFS, again contact the IRS, tell them you hit the wrong button and that you are filing jointly. Then amend your return.

@Kwells347

Child care Tax credit

can you go back and check your tax return? Any chance you made a mistake? look at the first page of form 1040 and about 1/3 of the way down is "filing status"

The child care credit is only available in limited circumstances if you file married-separately.  

for some reason, it appears the IRS thinks you filed married-separately  

Kwells347

Child care Tax credit

It is showing married filing jointly on first page and the letter they sent us has both of our names on it.  I will just respond to the letter.  Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies