turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you purchase an item from your second business?

If I own two businesses am I allowed to purchase something from business A as a promotional it for business B and claim the full value as a write off?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sure ... Business A sells a product and reports the sale  and Business B buys a product and deducts the expense properly.  The fact that you own both businesses is immaterial.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Sure ... Business A sells a product and reports the sale  and Business B buys a product and deducts the expense properly.  The fact that you own both businesses is immaterial.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. As Critter 3 explained, Business A reports the sale amount as income and Business B deducts the purchase amount as a business expense, assuming the item was used for a business purpose.

That said, it's not clear what your wording means ("as a promotional it for business B"..... "claim the full value as a write off").   What is the item and how will Business B use it?

Hi Hal_Al,

I was doing a monthly promotion and giving away a summer swag bag full of summer products for my tea business (Company B).   Items included were a custom made beach themed tumbler that was from Company A, tea, and a beach thermal.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Michellesong 

The answer is still the same. Company A reports the sale amount as income and Company B deducts the purchase amount as a business expense, since giving away items, to potential customers, as a promotion, is a legitimate business expense.

thank you very much!

Give aways and promotional items could be advertising especially if the items have your business name on it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies