turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ml83

Can I take the home office deduction? I'm living with my parents but am paying rent to stay here. I am self-employed and use one room of the house solely to work.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I take the home office deduction? I'm living with my parents but am paying rent to stay here. I am self-employed and use one room of the house solely to work.

Yes, you may take the home office deduction because you pay rent for the space and have a designated area used solely for work. See Business Use of Home Office for additional information.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, you may take the home office deduction because you pay rent for the space and have a designated area used solely for work. See Business Use of Home Office for additional information.
ml83

I take it I would need some form of rent receipt to safely take this deduction? I've only been making direct deposits into my parents' bank account.

Yes. You should get a receipt from your parents.
ml83

Thank you very much for your help.

What if you lived with your parent, but didn't pay rent exclusively, instead you paid all utilities. Nothing in the home was your name, but you do have proof of what you paid. Can you claim this still?

Manage cookies