turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chrisosti

Can I get the energy efficient improvement credit? I spent $3600 and it does not give me the credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I get the energy efficient improvement credit? I spent $3600 and it does not give me the credit.

@chrisosti 

that credit for energy efficient improvements has several limitations. First, there is a lifetime maximum credit for windows of $200. Second, there is a lifetime overall maximum for all such efficient improvements of $500. If you have previously claimed other improvements for the 10% credit, your current credit may be eliminated.  

next, the credit can only reduce the tax you owe, it can’t be refunded if you owe no tax. There are several reasons that you might owe no tax this year. For one thing, you might not have entered all of your taxable income yet.   Or, you might be getting stimulus credits and child tax credits that zero out your tax due.

it’s also possible that the section of the program is broken, but it is too early to file anyway.

since we can’t see your account or your tax return, you would have to call customer support, or wait until you are ready to file your tax return and then print a copy and review all the lines. Make sure that you actually owe tax and that you have a form 5695 that calculates a credit.  If the credit still doesn’t appear once you have your final printed tax return, you can ask back here for additional help or you can call customer support.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That credit form 5695 is non refundable  so have you entered in ALL your income yet ?

chrisosti

Yes, I followed everything in TurboTax. I get to the point of entering the info for my window purchase, and when it get's to the end, it says my credit is zero.
I don't understand. I'm supposed to get 10% of my purchase price for a credit. Sometimes I really question Turbotax.

@chrisosti 

that credit for energy efficient improvements has several limitations. First, there is a lifetime maximum credit for windows of $200. Second, there is a lifetime overall maximum for all such efficient improvements of $500. If you have previously claimed other improvements for the 10% credit, your current credit may be eliminated.  

next, the credit can only reduce the tax you owe, it can’t be refunded if you owe no tax. There are several reasons that you might owe no tax this year. For one thing, you might not have entered all of your taxable income yet.   Or, you might be getting stimulus credits and child tax credits that zero out your tax due.

it’s also possible that the section of the program is broken, but it is too early to file anyway.

since we can’t see your account or your tax return, you would have to call customer support, or wait until you are ready to file your tax return and then print a copy and review all the lines. Make sure that you actually owe tax and that you have a form 5695 that calculates a credit.  If the credit still doesn’t appear once you have your final printed tax return, you can ask back here for additional help or you can call customer support.

chrisosti

Thanks!!! It didn't occur to me that I can't take advantage of a credit as I don't owe any tax this year.
Oh well...

@chrisosti 

Some credits are “refundable”, meaning they can be refunded even if you don’t owe tax. Unfortunately, the energy credit is nonrefundable. It can only reduce your tax, it can’t increase your refund if you owe no tax.  

Cheers.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies