cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I deduct my out of pocket health cost for the state of Iowa?

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

enter your medical costs on federal schedule A.   for federal purposes TT will choose the larger of your itemized or standard deduction.  the info from federal schedule A medical costs will flow to the state if appropriate. 

Highlighted
Employee Tax Expert

You can claim medical expenses on your Iowa tax return if you opt to itemize instead of taking the standard deduction.  Taxpayers may itemize on their IA return even if deductions were not itemized on the federal return.   

You can enter your out of pocket medical costs (as well as the rest of your itemized deductions) in the federal portion and TurboTax will give you the biggest deduction (standard or itemized) on both your federal and your IA tax returns.   

Where do I enter my medical expenses?

Standard Deductions (IOWA) - Your itemized deductions have to be more than the amounts below before you will see a difference on your return. 

Single........................................................................................... $2,080

MFS ...................................................................$2,080 for each spouse

MFJ, HOH, QW ............................................................................ $5,120

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"