turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gofgo47

Can I deduct fees I paid to lower my real estate taxes? and where do I deduct that if I can?

I pay any agency every to fight the town to reduce our real estate taxes. They charge me a fee. Can I deduct this fee and if so where on my form can I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct fees I paid to lower my real estate taxes? and where do I deduct that if I can?

This could be considered legal fees necessary to produce taxable income.  In your case you are getting the real estate taxes lowered, which in turn lowers your deduction and increases taxable income.

Legal fees are not a direct deduction like the real estate taxes.  They can be used as a miscellaneous deduction on your itemized deductions.  This fall into the section which is limited to the amount that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).  Any excess can be added to the other itemized deductions on your tax return.

wint
Level 1

I want  to be  sure the rental percentage of the home may be deducted  on Schedule E: Supplemental Income and Loss, line 10, Legal  and  other professional fees.

Thank  you  for your  replie(s).

TomD8
Level 15

@DianeW  @gofgo47 Under the new tax law, legal fees related to producing or collecting taxable income or getting tax advice are no longer deductible

See page 4 of this IRS reference, "Expenses You Can't Deduct":  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
wint
Level 1

Thank you.

No  Miscellaneous deductions  on Schedule A, but

can I deduct the allocated percentage of rental property tax reduction fees and last year's tax prep software on Schedule E. on line 10, Legal & other professional fees?

TomD8
Level 15

@wint   Yes. Legal or tax preparation fees directly related to your rental property are deductible on Schedule E.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies