Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plpang
Returning Member

Can I deduct cost of a Cruise ship trip as my companies strategic planning and research conference.

On the cruise trip my partner and I will have meetings that researched markets and identify possible products, including activities that builds/develop the company. 

Can the trip be deducted as business expenses?

How many business work hours pr. day are required to deduct the total expenses of the trip as business expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I deduct cost of a Cruise ship trip as my companies strategic planning and research conference.

You can’t deduct the cruise unless you can show that the venue was necessary for the conduct of your business. 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Cruise Ships

You can deduct up to $2,000 per year of your expenses of attending conventions, seminars, or similar meetings held on cruise ships. All ships that sail are considered cruise ships.

You can deduct these expenses only if all of the following requirements are met.

1. The convention, seminar, or meeting is directly related to the active conduct of your trade or business.

2. The cruise ship is a vessel registered in the United States.

3. All of the cruise ship's ports of call are in the United States or in possessions of the United States.

4. You attach to your return a written statement signed by you that includes information about:

1. The total days of the trip (not including the days of transportation to and from the cruise ship port),

2. The number of hours each day that you devoted to scheduled business activities, and

3. A program of the scheduled business activities of the meeting.

5. You attach to your return a written statement signed by an officer of the organization or group sponsoring the meeting that includes:

1. A schedule of the business activities of each day of the meeting, and

2. The number of hours you attended the scheduled business activities.

PUB 463

jtax
Level 10

Was it a convention? If you and your partner went on a cruise and had some meetings that seems like a real stretch.

Here's a previous discussion of deducting cruise expenses

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/is-a-cruise-considered-business-...

here is the IRS general discussion publication on travel expenses

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies